LINDA SUSSMAN is a New York-based artist (solo/band) and award-winning songwriter whose music embraces folk, alternative-folk and blues and whose songs span universal themes such as love, heartache, triumphs and social justice. Linda's strong vocals (a bit reminiscent of Joan Baez) are backed by her strong rhythm and fingerstyle guitar, with a touch of slide.
Within 2 months of its release, Linda's 2021 album, THESE WALLS, charted #1 on the Roots Music Report (RMR)'s Top 50 Alternative-Folk Album Chart (4/3/21) and is ranked #5 on the RMR's Top Alternative Folk Album Chart for the Year 2021 . Linda's PASS IT ON DOWN album (rel. 2019) is ranked #20 on the RMR's Top Contemporary Folk Album Chart for the Year 2020. And while Linda works to complete her 2022 album ("Shake It Loose Today"), she has already released the first track, "Chain of Hope," in a video; the song is about the fragility of freedom and is dedicated to refugees and those working to provide relief. [Linda thanks radio hosts at KTAL, Blues & Roots Radio, WTBQ, and WFHB for the first advance spins of "Chain of Hope."]
"Join Hands," which was written as a rallying cry against systemic racism and released first as a single in advance of Linda's THESE WALLS album, struck a chord with radio hosts and reviewers:
“Join Hands is another powerful, stirring song from singer-songwriter Linda Sussman. Both a rallying cry and an uplifting anthem for our times, this is music you need to hear. ”
— Ron Cooke, KTAL Las Cruces radio host
"Linda Sussman takes us on a powerful journey with her new single Join Hands. Now more than ever we need messages like this..."
— Luke Wolk, Radio Guitar One, www.radioguitarone.com
"Join Hands” is unapologetically unifying and wholesome, and throws in the sort of standard social justice sentiment musicians have been singing about since the ’60s..."
— Matt Jensen, Divide and Conquer Music [click for full album review]
THESE WALLS is Linda's third full-length album of originals in the past four years and was recorded safely from home studios during the COVID-19 pandemic—all aspects of production were handled remotely, including mixing. About half of the tracks on THESE WALLS were written during the early days of lockdown in NY.
Linda has shared her music over the years at a wide range of venues, inspiring audiences to sing along on her crowd-favorite, relationship-rebuilding song "Layer Me Up," groove to her "Tomorrow Blues" tune, check in at a personal level on "Pass It On Down" or "These Walls," have a bit of old-time blues fun in "My Baby" or step away from the daily news in "Let’s Just Boogie." Check out all of Linda's albums on the CDs/Store page.
Typically touring as a solo artist, Linda also performs with any combination of her stellar band, the Linda Sussman Collective (many of whom are also Linda's studio musicians, including Mike Nugent, Mark Mancini and Richie Guerrero).
Linda's music can be heard internationally on stations across the US, Canada, UK, Europe, Israel, Australia and elsewhere.
• Tied for 2nd Place in the 2021 themed Songwriting Contest run by ASSV4U (A Still Small Voice 4U) and judged by DJ Ron Cooke. Theme: louder than the guns. Song: "We Will Rise" (by Linda Sussman © 2021)
• These Walls (album) #1 — Roots Music Report's Top 50 Alternative Folk Albums (4/3/21)
• These Walls (album) #3 — RMR's Top 10 Folk Albums [all subgenres] (4/3/21)
• Pass It On Down (album) #9 — RMR's Top 10 Folk Albums [all subgenres] (5/16/20)
• Pass It On Down (album) #20 — RMR's Best in Contemporary Folk in 2020 (top 200 chart )
• "Join Hands" #1 — RadioGuitarOne folk channel chart (1/7/21)
• "Eye of the Storm" #1 — RMR's Top 50 Alternative Folk Song Chart (4/3/21)
• "These Walls" #3 — RMR's Top 50 Alternative Folk Song Chart (4/3/21)
• "Catch Me If I Fall" #4 — RMR's Top 50 Alternative Folk Song Chart (4/3/21)
• "My Baby" #5 — RMR's Top 50 Alternative Folk Song Chart (4/3/21)
• "Chasin' That Train" #7 — RMR's Top 10 Contemporary Folk Song Chart (1/18/20)
• "A Little Bit of Heaven" #5 — RadioGuitarOne folk channel chart (9/10/20)
• "Every Road" #3 — RadioGuitarOne folk channel chart (7/30/20)
• "Cryin" #3 — RadioGuitarOne folk channel chart (4/9/20)
Major influences in Linda's songwriting:
Joni Mitchell, Phil Ochs, Bob Dylan, Holly Near, among many others!